Sunday, October 17, 2010

Pickled Turnips

As promised, pickled turnips!


(Although I originally thought they were radishes O_o) No matter, into the pickling liquid they went!

You can adjust this depending on how sweet/sour/strong you want it to taste, but here is basically what you do:


Ingredients

3 medium turnips
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar

Thinly slice the turnips and the garlic and put them into a small bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Stir gently until the salt and sugar dissolve. Enjoy!

Those of you who were paying attention, I'm sure you noticed the turnips in the picture were diced and not sliced. I cut the turnips into cubes this last time because I thought it might be an interesting texture, but I liked it much better the last time when I sliced them. You can of course "pickle" other vegetables like carrots, cucumbers, jicama, and even actual radishes this way! I like to eat the vegetables right away, but you can store the vegetables in this liquid for a decent amount of time. Just remember that the flavors will become more intense as the vegetables marinate, and there will be some texture changes, especially with the cucumber, as I'm sure you are all aware from buying pickles at the store.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment