Friday, March 25, 2011

Kale Chips

It took some figuring, but I think I finally came up with a workable recipe for these kale chips. I think someone told me the Full Belly recipe called for them to be baked at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, but that was too hot and burned the kale. I also used to much oil, but again, I wasn't following a recipe. I had drizzled the oil on the kale and then rubbed it onto the leaves with my fingers.

For my next attempt, I poured the oil into a bowl and dipped my fingers into it so I could just lightly coat the kale. I sprinkled these with a little sea salt and then baked them at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. This time, I did not use enough oil, and the oven was still too hot and burned the kale. We're not talking burned black, just brown, but they still had a slightly unpleasant burned undertone.

I was determined to figure out how to do this, and luckily we got kale again in yesterday's box. Here's what I came up with, and the chips that came out were pretty tasty. I had to stop myself from just eating the whole batch, which was also kind of the case with the last two batches, despite the burning XD



Kale Chips

Ingredients:

kale
olive oil
sea salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.

Pour some olive oil into a bowl. Dip your fingers into the olive oil and rub the oil all over a kale leaf, making sure to coat every surface. The amount of oil you need is hard to describe, but you want enough that each time you do this, there's one or two drops of oil that drip off the kale as you work, but not more than that unless you don't mind the chips being oily. Place the oil-coated kale leaf on the baking sheet. Repeat this process until you have a single layer of kale leaves on the baking sheet. The leaves need to be in a single layer, but they can be pretty close together.

Sprinkle the leaves with a little bit of sea salt. The amount you use will be entirely dependent on how salty you want the chips to be.

Place in the baking sheet in the oven for 5 minutes, then turn the oven down to 200 degrees. Continue baking for 40 minutes.

The resulting chips are crispy and very delicate, so you won't be able to dip them into anything, but they make a great side dish!


Bon Apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment